Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Kayak Fishing

A little trip to the Poconos for a family get together I had some time to go out and get some fishing in.   I decided try and fly fish from a kayak.  So I threw one in the back of my truck and took it over to the dock.  Paddled across the lake to where I know some bass hide from time to time and started casting. 

Now, I am by no means a great caster and found being so close to the water my fly would slap the surface a lot.  After a while I got the hang of it and all of a sudden my line tightened up.  After a small fight ended up with a decent pickerel.   A couple more casts and while I was stripping saw another pickerel come up and take my fly.  But this time he just bit right through my leader and swam off with the fly.  After cursing him and putting on a leech pattern. I got no action for a while.

Then all of a sudden line goes tight again.  This time it feels heavy and I am being pulled to a downed tree.  My line goes under the tree and then a bass jumps on the other side.  By now the bass has me wrapped up and the wind is taking me away from the tree.  I decide to try and paddle up or i am going to lose everything.  So i get back to the tree and tighten back up.   He is still there but only for a couple seconds.  Then gone...  Still a good rush and a lot of fun...



No comments:

Post a Comment